Saturday, April 24, 2010

Book: Textile Arts from Southern Appalachia

A few weeks ago I ordered "Textile Arts from Southern Appalachia," by Kathleen Curtis Wilson from InterLibrary loan.  It's a wonderful book about women who wove overshot coverlets and lived in the Southwest Virgina, East Tennessee and North Carolina area in the 1800s. 

Today I picked the book up at the library and was flipping through it when I discovered a coverlet woven by one of any ancestors!  Plus there was a little history about the weaving tradition in my family -- news to me.   The coverlet from my family was woven by Eliza Kimball Greever, around 1830, near Tazewell, VA.  You can see a closeup photo of her coverlet here.  Each coverlet in the book has a brief history about the person who wove it and even some genealogy information. The book is a wonderful addition to any weaver's library.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wow! That was a beautiful coverlet your ancestor wove. I also have a weaving ancestor, from Norway. She was disabled and did'nt marry, so she did all the spinning and weaving, the old spinster as they say.

Judy said...

Thanks for mentioning the book. I thought I'd see if I can get an Interlibrary loan to read it. I'd love to know if anyone in my family wove, but as far as I know I'm the first.